Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced PM Surya Ghar: Free Electricity Scheme to provide free electricity up to 300 units every month to citizens. In a series of posts on Twitter, he said that for sustainable development and well-being of the people, we are launching PM Surya Ghar: Free Electricity Scheme. He said the project, with an investment of over Rs 75,000 crore, aims to light 1 crore homes by providing up to 300 units of free electricity every month.
The Prime Minister said that from substantial subsidies directly transferred into people's bank accounts to heavily concessional bank loans, the Central Government will ensure that there is no cost burden on the people. He said that all stakeholders will be integrated with a national online portal which will further enhance convenience. Modi said that to popularize the scheme at the grassroots level, urban local bodies and panchayats will be encouraged to promote rooftop solar systems (solar energy on rooftops) in their jurisdiction.
In order to popularise this scheme at the grassroots, Urban Local Bodies and Panchayats shall be incentivised to promote rooftop solar systems in their jurisdictions. At the same time, the scheme will lead to more income, lesser power bills and employment generation for people.
read this also
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 13, 2024
He said that also, this scheme will generate more income for the people, lower electricity bills and employment generation. To promote solar energy and sustainable progress, the Prime Minister urged all residential consumers, especially the youth, to strengthen the PM Surya Ghar: Free Electricity Scheme by applying on PMSuryaGhar.gov.in.
How to apply for solar panels
- First of all register in the portal. After that select your state. Select the electricity distribution company. After that enter the electricity consumer number. Enter your mobile number and email. Follow the directions given in the portal.
- Login with consumer number and mobile number. Apply for rooftop solar as per the form.
- Wait for feasibility approval from Discom. Once you get feasibility approval, get the plant installed from any vendor registered with your discom.
- Once installation is complete, deposit plant details and apply for net meter.
- After installation of the net meter and inspection by the Discom, they will generate the commissioning certificate from the portal.
- Once you get the commissioning report. Provide bank account details and deposit a canceled check through the portal. You will receive your subsidy in your bank account within 30 days.
What are the benefits of a grid-connected rooftop solar system?
- Savings to the consumer in electricity bill.
- Utilization of available roof space, no additional land required.
- No additional need for transmission and distribution lines.
- By balancing electricity consumption and production, transmission and distribution losses are reduced.
- Improvement in tail-end grid voltage and reduction in system congestion.
- On a clear sunny day, a 1 KW solar power plant can generate 4 to 5.5 units in a day.